We wanted to pass along to our customers that Kidde has voluntarily recalled millions of fire extinguishers. This can affect between 37.8 million and 40 million extinguishers. Obviously, this affects a lot of people and we have to think, many with young kids at home. It includes extinguishers that have been manufactured for at least the past 40 years in 120 different models.
We always advise people to have at least one fire extinguisher in a home. Ours isn’t a Kidde, but it easily could have been.
The affected extinguishers are made with plastic handles and have push-button releases. The nozzles might detach, making the extinguisher useless as it won’t discharge without the handle.
Here’s a link to the Channel 5 and 3 news report.
If all this sounds familiar, it’s because there were earlier recalls a few years ago on these models.
Contact Kidde to Let Them Know You Have Recalled Fire Extinguishers
You must contact Kidde; stores will not accept returns. They will issue a gift card for a new fire extinguisher.
If your fire extinguisher is on the recall list, Kidde will arrange for the local Fire Department to remove it. Don’t move it around yourself. Kidde’s FAQ page recommends leaving it where you checked it.
What to Do if There’s a Fire Before Recalled Fire Extinguishers are Replaced
Kidde says to use fire extinguishers if there’s a fire or notice smoke and one is nearby.
We also offer these tips on putting out fires or smoking appliances without an extinguisher, which we discovered on Love to Know:
- Microwaves: Turn off and unplug if it’s safe to do so. The lack of oxygen will help put out the fire.
- Ovens: Turn off if you can do this safely. Baking soda can extinguish the flames as well.
- TVs: Unplug and douse with water.
- Grease fires from stove cooking: Cover with a lid if you can do this safely, or throw on baking soda.
- Electrical fires: Unplug the item if it’s safe to reach it, and turn off the switch that powers the item or the room on your electrical box.
Electrical fires can be caused by overloading outlets, using light bulbs that have a higher wattage than recommended, and using extension cords. Faulty wiring also causes electrical fires.